Conferences are exhausting. There is no other way to put it from the teacher's perspective. It is always a challenge to teach all day and then talk to parents until 8:30 in the evening, but even more so being pregnant. Regardless of the long days, though, it is such a blessing to have this opportunity to check in with families about how the year is going and to build strong partnerships to help support the students. One of the other benefits is seeing old families around the building. After working all year to build relationships, it is hard when families move on and I no longer connect with them anymore. So, conferences are also an opportunity to say hello and check in with them.
This year, that was especially nice because many of them were noticing the baby bump and commenting about that. I received several hugs and had to share one conversation... A sweet Vietnamese mom whose son I had last year in kindergarten was congratulating me and asking about the pregnancy. She asked if I was eating well. I assumed she was wondering if I was eating healthy so I told her I was trying and then she said, "From behind, you don't look pregnant! You need to start eating more! Eat anything you want." I told her she is welcome to come visit my classroom any time :)
No comments:
Post a Comment