Awhile back I posted about how our sweet little boy turns into a wild man at night. We never did find a way to keep him swaddled and decided that it was time to teach him to self-soothe while falling asleep rather than assisting him with keeping his crazy arms in. Well, he has just that: crazy arms. He would calm when we put our hands in to give him a pacifier because he would start to play with our fingers rather than flailing around. However, we wanted him to put himself to sleep so we tried giving him a blanket to calm his hands instead. It seems to have worked and he is so cute with a blankie!
While the blanket calms him, it also worries us because he snuggles it to his face and then falls asleep. Thus, we are checking on him more often. And with that, we have noticed that he still enjoys exploring every inch of his crib while he sleeps. Jake said recently, "I wonder if, when it seems like he hasn't moved much, he has really turned a full 360 degrees and is just back where he started." :) Last night I decided to document his travels when I checked on him (and I had kind of a restless night's sleep so it ended up being a good opportunity to see what his night is like)...
 |
| 8:10 PM - Shortly after he fell asleep, pretty much where we put him down. |
 |
| 8:45 PM - It looks like he's wiggling around, but he was actually still asleep in this new position. |
 |
| 9:25 PM - I moved the blanket so it wasn't over his face, but he scooted to the edge himself. |
 |
| 10:15 PM - Now his feet are actually out of the crib, but he still hasn't moved very far. |
|
|
After that last picture, I took the blanket out and scooted him back to the middle of the crib so he wouldn't wake himself up when he realized his feet were stuck between the bars. I did not take a picture, though, because I didn't want to wake him up for my benefit and he was already a little restless from moving him. I wish I had a photo, though, because a few minutes later...
 |
| 10:25 PM - He rolled to his side and rotated his body! |
 |
| 10:55 PM - Now he's completely sideways. |
 |
| 11:55 PM - Leg out of the crib again. This time he woke himself up. |
Again, I turned him around back to his original position. I also gave him the blanket back in hopes that he would fall back asleep quickly. Somehow I forgot to take a new "original" picture again, but he was back into the position he started the night in. That's when the real fun started...
 |
| 3:00 AM - Sideways and on the other side of the crib - now he's really moving! |
 |
| 3:35 AM - Rotated again. |
 |
| 5:30 AM - I got to wake up to this happy boy! What you can't see in the picture is that he had turned on his mobile and was happily watching it spin. |
|
|
|
I think it is probably easier for him to move when he is not swaddled, but it is still a mystery to us how he can move
so much. Crazy little dude.
No comments:
Post a Comment