Friday, March 9, 2012

New Life

I always knew that having a baby would be a big change, but I don't think I realized how much EVERYTHING would change. Yesterday was the perfect example of how different life is with the little man.

First thing in the morning I called the pediatrician because he had a little rash. I made a mid-morning appointment so both of us could be ready and out of the house to be there on time. Well, I was ready and Dax was ready when it was time to go, but he was also hungry. Poor little guy cried all the way to the doctor. I asked them if we could get into a room right away so I could feed him and they were great - we hardly had to wait at all! They wanted to weigh him first and the doctor came right away so Dax had to wait a little while, but it was the fastest appointment we have had. I felt bad for Dax, but maybe that's the way to go in the future to get in and out quickly! As it turned out the rash was no big deal, but I was glad to have had it seen and to have a new "official" weight - 10 pounds, 3 ounces. I also learned my lesson about planning ahead with a baby!

In the last post I mentioned my mom and baby class. Fairview Southdale offers a class for new moms. There are 8 moms and babies in the class and we talk about highs and lows, share ideas, discuss challenges, tell stories, and spend time with the little ones. It is really nice to know that others are having similar parenting experiences. Well, two of the other moms and I decided to meet at the Mall of America to practice getting out of the house and doing something normal. So, Dax and I ventured out a second time (a rarity for one day lately!) to see them. We met in the women's lounge at Nordstrom. Yep, I said women's lounge. Not to be confused with women's restroom. The women's lounge is a beautiful place for moms. There are several areas to sit and nurse as well as a changing table and a normal restroom. It was great! Then we headed out to tackle the rest of the mall. We had to navigate the stores with our strollers, find elevators in order to change floors, and were on a time limit due to the little munchkins. Toward the end of our trip, 2 out of 3 babies were crying so we headed back to the women's lounge to round out the event. Overall, it was fun, but such a different shopping experience than pre-Dax.

Finally, we decided to stop at Grandma and Grandpa's since we were so close. My parents have an elliptical machine and I have been trying to convince myself to go use it every day. I finally made it. Dax got to snuggle with Grandma and I hopped on. It was embarrassingly tiring. I barely made it 15 minutes and my legs were like jelly when I was finished. I guess I'll have to get motivated to stop by more often or my soccer team is going to banish me when we start up in a few weeks!

So, we made it through an eventful day. I learned that Dax's schedule rules my life, that a "quick" shopping trip will never exist anymore due to all of the extra prep to get his stuff together and the extra effort the stroller creates, and that this momma will take some time to get back in shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment