Friday, May 4, 2012

Birthday Mama

Happy birthday to me! While I appreciate a little pampering, I am not the kind of person who goes all out for my birthday. This year was pretty special, though, because I got to celebrate with the sweetest little guy in the world. My day technically started around 3 AM when Dax woke up hungry. My preference is not waking up in the middle of the night, but there is something special about snuggling with the little man when it is so dark and quiet. And this time I couldn't help but smile thinking about Jake's comments last night before putting Dax to bed, "You'll be the first to see Mommy tomorrow so be sure to tell her Happy birthday!" :)

Then, as I was getting ready for work, Jake came to tell me something interesting that he had just learned. May 4th is Star Wars day - "May the fourth be with you!" While I don't care about Star Wars at all, I thought that was pretty awesome!

The one negative was leaving my two favorite guys to head to work, but the first graders make it so much easier to be away and today they were especially excited. All week they have been HILARIOUS; constantly commenting about my special day. Yesterday one little boy asked, "Mrs. Schulz, how do you think you will feel tomorrow?" He predicted that I would be happy. He was right. I got so many hugs and happy birthdays from the thoughtful firsties. One girl made me a card that said, "Happy Birthday Mrs. Schulz! Have a very merry birthday. Love, your BFF" So sweet!

But, of course, the best part was getting home to see Dax again. He and Jake made a card while I was at work and it was perfect! Jake let Dax grab a marker and color on the paper. Seriously, the best gift in the world to have a card from my sweet little man.


We went out to dinner and then I spent awhile snuggling with my sleepy boy. It was pure heaven. We have brunch and shopping plans tomorrow and I am looking forward to both, but I know the highlights of this year will be the low-key time spent with the ones I love. Maybe I am just getting old, but now I completely understand my parents' only birthday requests each year for time spent together.

No comments:

Post a Comment