Winter is here! (I know some of you are likely reading that in the wah wah tone that comes from pure hatred of the cold, snowy winter that is typically Minnesota. Thus, I must point out the exclamation point and, as I would with my kindergartners, encourage you to read that sentence again with excitement.) I LOVE snow. I am not into winter sports, but think the white world is so beautiful and it makes me truly happy. It also completes the ambiance for the Christmas season. Today we took advantage of the recent snowfall and checked off a couple of musts for Dax's first real winter experience.
First, we ventured out to the mall to visit Santa. While Dax clearly does not understand yet, we had to go. He chattered away while we waited in line, ensuring that everyone around knew that he was there. He admired the Christmas tree we passed, walked along the gate, and observed other children talking with Santa. When we got to the front, he was standing on the ground and I had to hold him back from running to the jolly old man. He tensed a bit as we got closer and closer, but stayed calm for a few pictures and started to fuss just as I returned to "save" him. We perpetuated the commercialism by purchasing a significantly overpriced package of photos, vowing to simply let Dax talk to Santa in future years. But who could resist going all out for his first Christmas?
He fell asleep on the way home, but after his nap we went back out to play in the snow. Dax was not thrilled with all the gear we put on him and we had to laugh at his inability to move once he was sufficiently protected from the elements. Once outside, he was not sure what to think. He didn't crack much of a smile until we were getting ready to head back in the house, but had his first experience sledding and playing in the snow. Hopefully he will be a little more enthusiastic next time.

No comments:
Post a Comment