Saturday, June 16, 2012

Father's Day

For Father’s Day, Jake asked if he could write a guest post:

Before Dax was born, I told Kristin that she was the lead parent, and I would support anyway I could. The maternal instinct is to nurture, and Kristin exemplified it. My instinct was to float around aimlessly looking for something to do. I tried to get up in the middle of the night as much as Kristin, but quickly learned that I was the third wheel (a very tired wheel). I went back to work after two weeks at home and could appreciate how great the two hours of evening playtime before bed were.


When Kristin went back to work, she snuggled Dax and told him not to have any milestones while she was at work. Despite all my efforts, he didn’t say “dada” or rollover during my six weeks of Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays working from home. I can say that Dax had a lot of fun in our home office playing and singing. I tried my best to keep up on work, especially during naps! 

Watching Daddy work
Over time, Dax and I built a real connection and I now understand why maternity/paternity leave is so valuable. On the other hand, I also learned that I prefer working at work, and could never be Mr. Mom. Dax is starting to look like a little boy who recognizes us and not just a little bundle of goo. I am back at work full time again, but now have a more comfortable impression of fatherhood. I can imagine life if we hadn’t had Dax, but it seems like a waste of time now. 


Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment