Monday, March 4, 2013

Logical?

How did our life transition so quickly from DINKs to new parents to a full-blown family with a toddler? Dax is still growing at the speed of light. And I'm pretty sure he moves at the speed of light as well. He has started to assert his independence and we're crossing into new territory. Two things I have learned from teaching that I hope to translate into parenthood are that it is important to be consistent and that consequences need to be logical. I never knew it would be so hard - it's pretty stinkin' cute when Dax gets sassy and nearly impossible not to laugh.

Michievous little cutie
Though he doesn't really need consequences for this, we are trying to be consistent with keeping his blankies and nukies in the crib. It's very cute when he walks around with them now, but it will be much easier to break him of the habit as a little guy than when he's older and completely attached. Thus, our rule is that they stay in the crib. He just recently started trying to keep hold when he wakes up. Instead of fighting, we let him snuggle a little longer in his crib before taking them away. As it turns out, that may be a new game...

Who is teaching who something here?
I think he's showing us that he's not ready to drop them yet :)
The other situation that often requires our attention is mealtime. When Dax is finished eating, he lets us know by throwing his food on the floor. I think that is pretty typical of one-year-olds, but is still a habit we'd prefer to break. Recently I decided to have him pick some of the food up and throw it in the garbage when he's finished. He is very obedient and completely adorable following through on his clean-up duties. Perhaps another new game?


So, while we're still debating if we are giving him logical consequences (and if he even correlates the actions with his behavior), we're trying to be consistent and loving every moment figuring out each new stage of parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment