Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yesterday I heard an interesting quote; "What if you woke up today and only had the things that you thanked God for yesterday?" Powerful thought. It's easy to overlook how many incredible things are in our lives and for me that quote was a great reminder of how blessed we truly are.

I am thankful for family, friends, and our health. My Thanksgiving started differently than usual - running! Annie, my BFF and cousin, had invited some of the "Olson" (it was actually all Schulz, O'Connor, and Houfeks!) clan to join her in the Turkey Day 5K since it was the in-laws' turn to celebrate with her. There weren't many of us, but it was great to see them and I was happy to survive the 3.1 mile jog. While it was not my best time, I ran the whole thing and that is quite an accomplishment for this lazy busy Mama.

Pre-race photo
I am thankful for Jake and Dax. Upon returning home, my wonderful family was snuggled up on the couch. I quickly joined them and cuddled with Dax while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - a tradition that I love even though Jake grumbles about it each year (apparently there is a helium shortage?!). Dax enjoyed the treat of watching TV and giggled at all of the giant balloons, but I can't wait until he is a little older and can truly enjoy the event.


I am thankful for food. We had fun preparing a yummy corn casserole and veggie platter together before heading over to the Schulz household for a delicious Thanksgiving feast.

Thanks, Pinterest, for making veggies more fun!
I am thankful for time. I already said I'm thankful for family, but we could not enjoy this blessing without the gift of time spent with them. Like I often say, we don't have nearly enough with the people we love, but enjoy what we do have. Today we celebrated with the Schulz's and filled the time with laughter, conversation, dinner, and lots of love.

Ready to party
Uncle Sam
Great-Grandpa Harry
The ladies
Playing with Grandpa Mick and Grandma Mary
I am thankful for good deals. I topped this great day off with Black Friday shopping. While we were not thrilled that stores were opening on Thanksgiving day, Annie and I followed through on our annual tradition of joining the masses for fantastic sales, long lines, gift-buying, and a little bit of chaos. It was another successful trip.

Although this list does not nearly cover the many, many, many things I have to be thankful for, I think it is clear that we are blessed. Thank you, God, for filling my life with incredible people and so much joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment